Who are you???

Yes that's right, I asked you.. Who are you? 

As a matter of fact, I have a better one... Why are you here visiting my blog?

Actually I can top that one... Why did YOU decide to become a massage therapist?

Why all the questions Meli? I am so glad that you asked! If you don't know why you are in this profession you won't have any direction. Most of us get into Massage because we had a great experience, wanted to help a loved one or the most popular one is, "I LOVE HELPING PEOPLE!!" Whatever it is, you must figure it out when you become serious in this career. 

It will get you through the tough times when you have a client that says something really negative about you, when you feel incompetent because you can't 'fix' someones problems, when you pushed a client too far, that they are having a longer time recovering from your work. You need to understand your WHY.

If you read enough business or self improvement books, they will always, always, always ask you to find your 'why.' In every profession it is necessary and in fact, you can't run a business day in and day out, go to work every..single..day without one.

A month or so after I met the man of my dreams (that was 4 years ago) he asked me out right, "IF money didn't matter in the world, would you still do what you do?" I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. I really wanted to answer this question honestly. I could visualize all the things, places and people that have come into my life because of massage therapy. I could feel all of the hugs full of gratitude that I had received, I could see all of the progress of the bodies that had decided that massage therapy was going be their way healing. I could feel the feelings of love and fulfillment, what I consider my destiny. I slowly opened my eyes that were filled with tears of joy and confidently said, "OH HELL YEA!"

So go ahead, get out a pen and paper and ask yourself these questions...
  • What was my first experience with massage? Good? Bad? Why?
  • What was the deciding factor for me to be in this profession?
  • Can I see my self in this profession for 5 years? 7 years? 10 years? 30 years?
  • What are my top 5 reasons why I LOVE being a Massage Therapist?
These questions are just the start to clarity for you and in the next post I will be talking about what your WHY will give you in this profession. I am so excited to see what some of your answers are. If you are brave enough, please share in the comments below.

Comments